City boy in the Rocky Mountain Wilderness
(Jim's anecdotes about living in the sticks)
Back to community Information
- This town has no stop lights.
- There is no mail delivery here.
- The "daily" paper is printed four days a week.
- I got my hair cut at a shop that has no working hours, just a sign
in the window which had YUP on one side and NOPE on the other. When you
drive past and see YUP, you can get your hair cut.
- The roads get trashed here in the winter, consequently, all summer
long, road crews are out working on them. Yesterday I wanted to pick
up our "daily" newspaper, which involves driving down the hill
to the Inn at the main road (2 1/2 miles). I got stuck for fifteen minutes
by the road crew, and I thought to myself, "this could never happen
to me in any other place I've lived." Sure, there are road crews
everywhere, but I've never lived anyplace with only one road; anyplace
else, I would have turned around and gone a different way.
- There are real, honest-to-goodness cowboys here!
- The nearest shoe store is an hour and fifteen minutes away.
- I'm told it's clear and still here in the winter... clear up to your
ass, and still coming down!
- The school's are only open four days a week.
- There is a single-plex movie theater. Not in my town, of course, but
fifteen miles down the road.
- My neighbor has a bison.
- My bank in the nearest town, has winter hours 9:00-2:00 Mon., Fri.
THAT'S MONDAY AND FRIDAY!!!!!
- In the local elections there are three races; one race will probably
be the closest: between Eden Recor and Gail Brooks. That's because the
other two races are uncontested!
- We are charged an extra $5.00/month for our phone service to defray
the cost of laying cable all the way out to here-there isn't enough client
base to make us profitable.
- I can hit the seek button on my radio, and it won't find anything.
- Virtually everyone I know has hit a deer or elk at some time.
- People are unwilling to let a Wal-Mart open here.
- The highway I live on is closed for the winter 15 miles down the road
- There is no place in this county to buy underwear!